Tuesday, August 14, 2007

How I Rate

I go on the star ratings, like most credible people do (not that I'm credible). If you've never heard of it, this is how it works:

From Wikipedia:

"The 'star rating' system (originated by Jim Cornette & Norm Dooley), which rates matches on a scale of one to five stars in a similar manner to that used by many movie critics. As in the field of film, a rating is a largely subjective affair that may take into account the amount of action, as opposed to restholds ("workrate"); the difficulty and variety of moves used; the history of the workers and their feud; the development of an in-match storyline based on the wrestling moves and how they affect the wrestlers; and the overall reaction of the crowd."

Famous users of the system include Dave Meltzer, Scott Keith, and Wade Keller. I'm more of a Scott Keith kind of guy.

OK. Here is the System:

***** = Perfect match
**** = A Great Match
*** = Good match
** = OK match with some action
* = Bad Match with a little action
DUD = Nothing
Negative Stars = Offensive to the viewing public.

Ratings also differ based on degrees of 1/4 of a star. For example:

I can usually tell when I'm watching a *, **, ***, or **** match. The better the match gets, the more 1/4 of a star I give it. So,

If I'm watching a *** match, and it starts getting better, I will give it another 1/4 star. If it gets more time and gets better still, I will give it another 1/4 star and so on and so on...

Might seem a little difficult to understand, but it really isn't.

No comments: