Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Judgement Day 2006 Review

MNM vs. Londrick (WWE Tag Titles) - ***1/2
I love hot openers. Eh, sounds kinda wrong but I'm gonna flow with it...actually that sounds pretty damn wrong too. Anyways, good match. Kendrick/London are awesome at the face-in-peril tag formula.

Finlay vs. Benoit - ****1/4
All I can say is WOW, this match was damn awesome. It truly felt like they were trying to do something that the WWE hadn't seen in years. I've seen a lot of Benoit matches from around this time and before this match he always seemed to go through the motions in his early 2006 matches. Chops. German. Headbutt. German. Crossface/Sharpshooter. 3 Stars. You really couldn't differentiate a Benoit match in January 06 from one in April 06. This was felt different right off the bat. Also, I can't recall ever seeing Benoit slap someone in the face. Twas pretty sweet to see him show genuine emotion like that. Oh yeah, did I mention they stomp the shit out of each other? Cause they do, and it's just swell.

I adore little things in matches. This one had plenty. Like when Benoit snapmared Finlay to escape a submission and ran right off the rope before Finlay had even hit the ground and tries to drop an elbow. Thing is, HE MISSED THE ELBOW. I looooove that. I never saw it coming. I also love when Benoit hit the baseball slide to the outside and the chair hit Finlay in the chest. Then, Benoit threw him in the ring really quickly and hit the Diving Headbutt. Can you guess where? Thats right...the chest.

Negatives? Very few. The 3rd quarter of the match seemed a little...I wouldn't call it slow, but maybe "less intense." Also, the finish came out of butt fuck no where as Benoit was thrown into the turnbuckle post, sold it, then just awkwardly applyied the Crossface as Finaly picked him up. I guess you could say it looked so awkward because he just hit steel with his shoulder, but whatever, I still wasn't really a fan. Finlay tapping in like 2 seconds didn't help. Take out a couple of these things and the rating would have been 1/4* higher.

All in all I dug this match to say the least. Juuuust behind Taker/Angle for my WWE 2006 MOTY which I have at the same rating.

Melina vs. Hall - 1/2*
Totally forgettable, as in I literally forgot the match took place about 2 minutes after it was over. Had to go on Wikipedia to remember what the match was. Weird seeing Hall as a face in the match. Forgot that happened like I did with a lot of stuff in 2006.

Helms vs. Super Crazy (Cruiserweight Title) - **1/2
Generic WWE Cruiserweight match except it got a solid amount of time. Fine but who cares, ya know?

Angle vs. Henry - **1/4
A little better than their Rumble match, although I actually liked that one more than most.

Booker vs. Lashley (King of the Ring Finals) - *3/4
Just here for storyline advancing purposes. Booker and Sharmell were so on here it's not even funny. Can't wait to get into the King Bookah stuff.

Taker vs. Khali - 3/4*
Wow. Total squash match for the most part. I can't believe Taker jobbed out to Khali like that. Khali must have naked pictures of Taker or one of Taker's relatitves. Seriously.

Rey vs. JBL (World Title) - ***
Just a bit behind their No Mercy match from the year prior. JBL is the most awesome heel ever here. Blowing kisses to Rey's wife? Classic.

No comments: