Thursday, May 21, 2009

WWE Judgment Day 2009 Review

Punk vs. Umaga
Pretty great stuff, but that doesn't surprise me anymore because Punk has become one of the best at adapting to other guys styles.

***

Swagger vs. Christian
On par with their other match from last month but not as good as the 2nd ECW TV match imo. Just well played matches. Hopefully they have another at ONS in a 2/3 falls match, although they might add Dreamer and make it some triple threat garbage or something.

***1/4

Morrison vs. Benjamin
What you'd expect I guess. This is my first time seeing Morrison as a face, and I gotta say, I'm not a huge fan. I'll give him some time though to work on it, but he's just a natural heel in my eyes.

**1/2

Rey vs. Jericho
I'm not as high on this as most are. It was really good though. Jericho avoiding the 619 and Rey avoiding the Walls was really cool. MOTN so far.

***1/4

Orton vs. Batista
Not feeling this at all. Worst MOTN to me. I really have no confidence in either guy anymore to go out there and entertain me in a match with one another. Orton being a pussy and trying to weasel his way out of the match was the saving grace for me.

**1/4

Cena vs. Big Show
Prepare to been blown away. I LOVED this. So simple with Show working over the injury, but I'm a mark for simplicity like that in wrestling. I'm all for guys like Morrison going out there and doing 625's off the top rope and whatever, but things like this hold my attention more in this stage of my life than anything like that. Show destroyed Cena's midsection and I think Cena sold really well. The multiple attempts at the STFU were great because Cena was too hurt and Show was too tall for it t be locked in. The finish with the FU even after the beating to the ribs didn't really bother me because Cena sold them after he pinned Show. I know everyone thought it was slow and my rating blows any other rating I've seen for it out of the water, but I feel what they did justifies it. I'd bet no one ever comes close to my rating, but I'm cool with being the minority.

***3/4

Hardy vs. Edge
This kind of exceeded my expectations a little. I was expecting a typical Smackdown match and they turned up the volume a little more. It felt like they knew they were the main event and they thought they had to deliver. I love top rope finishes so that was nice. Overall, the match wasn't revolutionary, but that's still fine.

***1/4

I thought this was another good show from the WWE. I see no signs of that stopping

No comments: